Re: error in process filter: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: error in process filter: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:29:59 +1100

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> A Soare wrote:
>> I got all the time this error:
>>
>> error in process filter: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>
>> Can you help he understand its cause, please?
>
> a function somewhere expects a string as argument but is getting nil.
>
> check the *Messages* buffer, it might contain a bit more info on where the
> error
> occurs.

Or better still, in addition to checking the messages buffer, look at
the backtrace (you may need to enable debug on error from the options
menu). The backtrace will tell you what function was executing when the
error occured. Often, looking at the  code for that function will show
you where the problem is. You can often use the backtrace to see where
the 'nil' value originated etc. The documentation for the function will
also give you some valuable insight.

Tim

P.S. as a guess, I'd say there is a filter function associated with your
process that is expecting to be passed a string, but instead is being
passed a nil value. This could be an error in the process or an error in
the filter definition.  This is only a stab in the dark guess and could
be completely wrong.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au