Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:01:31 -0800

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> I have no experience with such test rigs, nor with any the many Emacs
>> test frameworks, and I have time neither to review them, nor to write
>> my own.  But I would very much welcome some test framework to be
>> installed in Emacs's CVS repository such that I can easily add tests in
>> the "test" subdirectory for simple low-level tests.
>>
>> Being able to have higher-level tests would be nice as well and is
>> indeed a hard problem in general, but it's not a prerequisite at all.
>
> I have added some things to ert.el so that it can be used for testing
> commands and also fontification. (Some lisp expert could probably
> transform my additions to something better, but the funcitonality is
> there.)
>
> This is, as Joseph noted, part of nXhtml. There is no harm in
> downloading nXhtml and installing that ( ;-) ),

I would certainly hope not, but I've come to be somewhat leery of emacs
extensions that consist of large numbers of interelated elisp files.

I'm afraid that the lack of a package manager combined with Stallman's
fearsome reputation as guardian of the cathedral has made gnu emacs
prone to these things... they often seem to me like forks-in-disguise.

> but you can also grab the files directly from the nXhtml repository at
> Launchpad. In some moment of extraordinary orderlineness I happened to put
> them in the nxhtml/test directory.
>
> If you install nXhtml you can run the tests for nXhtml with
>
>    M-x nxhtmltest-run-Q
>
> to see how it works.

I guess it's good to have a live example at hand, like this, but the immediate
question (in my mind at least) would be is ert.el an entirely stand-alone
package, or has some some dependencies with your other packages crept in?