Re: Indentation settings problems

From: TriKri
Subject: Re: Indentation settings problems
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

TriKri wrote:

> Hi. I'm having some trouble getting the size of the indentation right. I'm
> writing a .cpp-file, but I guess the indentation will work in about the
> same way as for a .c-file. I'm running windows (more specifically windows
> 7), and I've just installed GNU Emacs 23.1.1. The indentation is 2 spaces
> right now. I prefer a tab instead (with tab width 4), or possibly 4 spaces
> if tab is not possible. Here is what I've tried: I enter the options, go
> to Editing->Indent, where I find that the variable "Standard Indent" is
> set to 4. I get 2 spaces when I indent, why not 4? Okay I get 2 spaces, so
> how do I change it? I have also tried changing "C Basic Offset" in
> Programming->Languages->C to "Override style settings: 4", but that
> doesn't work either. It's still indenting with 2 spaces.
>
> So, I would prefer 4 spaces instead of 2, or even better, a tab, and
> having the tab width set to 4 (how I now can change the tab width) so
> someone else with another text editor can apply another indentation size
> on my code by simply setting the tab width in their editor. Can someone
> tell me how to change this? And I'm an Emacs newbie, so you will have to
> tell me exactly which variables to change and how to change them.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Kristofer

Hi! I think I maybe have found the way to configure Emacs in the right way.
Since I got so happy when I got it to work and I thought I had found the way
to do it, I wrote a small article about it which covers how to change the
indentation settings:  http://setup.wikia.com/wiki/GNU_Emacs
http://setup.wikia.com/wiki/GNU_Emacs  Since it's a wiki, anybody can change
it. Please feel free to contribute; add more stuff you feel is important to
know as a beginner (although the article probably could be extended to cover
more advanced things as well), and change what you feel is wrong or
incorrect. Currently some of the text is written in first-person pronoun,
which should be changed too.