Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 05:59:35 +0300

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:33:57 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
>> So, what are your reasons for switching from Postfix to something else?
>> Maybe we can help you configure Postfix to do what you have in mind, and
>> you can still keep it.
>
> Hi Giorgos!
>
> Actually Postfix setup is more easy than the others. So Postfix goes
> with many spammers, in recent.  To tell truth, i want to take off such
> a dishonor.

That's the first time I've heard something like this!  My opinion is
that it is not a dishonorable thing to use something that works, but
just `sensible'.

For example knives can be used to do many dishonorable things: to kill a
person; to threaten others and extort money, resources, or even sex; to
mutilate and harm both human and non-human beings.  They can also be
used to do wonderful things like cooking, carving wooden artwork, to
perform medical operations that save many lives every day, and so on.

Should we stop using knives because *some* people find evil uses for
them?  My guess is `no' :)

> Still clean MTA by the point is Exim, i think. Many free software
> folks use that. But i won't change the outbond MTA (Postfix on FreeBSD
> 4.11-STABLE). The outbond performs so many tasks for me. Only my
> concern is local MTA. That is easy, no trouble though it fails.

Ah, that's much different.  If you do that to learn how to operate
another MTA, then this is fine and a worthy project, because it extends
knowledge and will be very useful when you have to administer an Exim
installation in the future.

So, if it's ok to have a bit of downtime, then go for it :-)