Re: git mode for emacs

From: rustom
Subject: Re: git mode for emacs
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:36:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 11:57 pm, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
> > I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>
> I'm git.el (1.0), vc-git (part of emacs) and gitsum (0.2). All work
> fine with Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu here. vc-git is fine for
> operations on a single file and mostly gets out of you way. git.el is
> more useful when you're in "version control mode", for operations on a
> the file tree. gitsum allows you to select what chunks to group into a
> commit. There's no reason why you can't use several packages in
> parallel and use each one what what it does best. See

Partly I use windows and partly linux.
My main requirement right now is for a stable and usable git under
windows.
Maybe git is not very usable under windows? I thought it had moved on
from there. But I would like to hear if this is so.

>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git
>
> for an overview.
>
> For troubleshooting your problem: what emacs version are you using?
> Did you upgrade recently? Any stale byte compiled git.elc lying
> around? What happens if you start emacs without customizations
> (emacs -Q) and load git.el with M-x load-file?

Right now Im on my linux box... so responding from memory of the
windows problems with git.el
1. With a detached head (ie something was checked out 'inside' a
branch) I got
    Branch:     fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref
    in git-status. I was suggested on the git mailing list to upgrade
git.el. Did it but this problem did not go away.
2. Later on trying other commands like commit, add etc I keep getting
    Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

Well thought I'd do a little elisp debugging on that.
When I loaded git.el with edebug-all-defs I got:
Invalid read syntax: "Expected one of", stringp, "nil"

Note: That this is something in git.el that is triggering a bug (or at
least a deficit in edebug)
I edebugged pieces of the file and came to this that
is offensive to edebug
(defstruct (git-fileinfo
            (:copier nil)
            (:constructor git-create-fileinfo (state name &optional
old-perm new-perm rename-state orig-name marked))
            (:conc-name git-fileinfo->))
  marked              ;; t/nil
  state               ;; current state
  name                ;; file name
  old-perm new-perm   ;; permission flags
  rename-state        ;; rename or copy state
  orig-name           ;; original name for renames or copies
  needs-update        ;; whether file needs to be updated
  needs-refresh)      ;; whether file needs to be refreshed

I guessed that this is not really the problem (and Im not keen on
debugging edebug) so edebugged the rest of git.el, un-edebugged this
defstruct and tried...

The error is evidently coming from a ewoc-locate

[This happens on windows and not on linux; the defstruct offending
edebug error happens on both]
Anyhow this is getting too much into the innards of emacs so I did not
pursue it further.

So let me restate my question -- How to use git with emacs under
windows?
Does vc with git backend work?
Its quite ok to use vc for simple single-file-ish stuff and drop to
the command line for more gitly stuff
But if nothing works really properly under windows I wont waste too
much time