Emacs mouse wheel and other issues

From: galapogos
Subject: Emacs mouse wheel and other issues
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:29:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've installed emacs for my Mandriva 2009.0 box. However I am having 2
issues with it

1. The mouse wheel doesn't work. It apparently gets mapped to C-M-( and
C-M-), which emacs doesn't recognize. How do I get it to work so that I can
scroll up/down my files?

2. There's a huge message window that takes up almost half the editor space,
saying "Welcome to emacs, blah blah blah". I can resize it down but I'm not
sure how to remove it. My Mandriva 2008.0/2008.1 emacs installations didn't
have this problem.

Would appreciate if anyone could tell me how to fix these, thanks!