Re: Convert UTF-8

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Convert UTF-8
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:43:36 +0100

Am 17.12.2008 um 02:05 schrieb YOUNG:

I have a Emacs 22.3.1 for Windows XP, and there is a file encoded in
ASCII. I am trying to read the file and convert it to UTF-8 with
emacs.

You could also try:

        (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8)

It's a global option. The best to set GNU Emacs' behaviour in this area is by environment variables like LANG or LC_CTYPE that name some UTF-8 based encoding. I don't know how this is handled in MS Losedos.

From the Options menu choose Mule and then "Set Coding Systems" from which "For Next Command" (C-x RET c) will allow you to set a particular encoding system for reading the file.

--
Greetings

  Pete