Re: learning Emacs Lisp

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: learning Emacs Lisp
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:36:23 +0100

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> [...] but Xah Lee is an excellent resource with carefully argued
>> points and practical approach to, amongst other things, eLisp usage.
>
> This is a joke, isn't it?

Not in the slightest. I can only assume the bit you snipped about some
more established Emacs users disagreeing with him applies to you? Or the
tone suggests that.

> When learning a language it's better to take a look at polished code
> that uses this language's idioms.  Xah's on a crusade against even the
> most basic stuff like correct indentation...

By correct indentation I guess you mean the established custom? I cant
disagree that customs are good but personally I think the established
custom in elisp is rather awkward to the extreme. Not that i dont try to
adhere to it :-; But even looking around the C world we see various
indentation standards and everyone is entitled to their view. A constant
style is, of course, better for everyone although it does not
immediately mean that constant style is the best. As a programmer for
years I can not even begin to understand how and why eLisp bracketing
standards became as they did other than maybe to save screen real estate
in the VT100 type days. FWIW, I think saving space is better for the eye
too in some ways but I find "at a glance" analysis of most eLisp code
almost impossible because of the standard of grouping all closing
brackets.

> The best resources for elisp are
>
>   (info "(eintr)Top")
>
> and
>
>   (info "(elisp)Top")

For eLisp reference maybe.  But I found Xah Lee's tutorial very
good. Its a programmers introduction and gets to the key points quickly
in an ordered manner and grouped in logical sections.

*shrug*

We all prefer different methods. But I like his practical learn by doing
approach.

> together with the online help (`C-h ?').  All of these are included in
> emacs.

If I might be so bold as to mention I added a context help addition which
shows you the function or variable under point as an extension to eldoc:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-fr/ElDoc#toc6

> And of course, you learn a language best by speaking/programming in it.
> But Drew already said that.

Of course. But eLisp is special in that its almost unreadable to the
typical procedural programmer fluent in C/C++ etc until you know a lot
if it already. Or that was my experience. And we all have different
experiences so it does no harm to remain open as to what suits other
people.

I found Xah Lee's tutorial very useful and feel it would certainly
benefit some others too.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation