Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 23, 6:02 am, Eric S Fraga <ucec...@eeepc.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:
> On 2008-09-23, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 22, 11:25 am, Eric S Fraga <ucec...@eeepc.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> I don't have any RSI problems due to my use of a keyboard.  If you
> >> read my post, I said clearly that mouse usage is what causes me pain.
> >> We are talking (I thought) about text interfaces versus GUIs.
>
> > if you don't know much about keyboard and ergonomics, i recommend
> > reading the few articles i've written on the issue. A partial list
>
> Your arrogance (exacerbated and accentuated by your apparent inability
> to read what others write) is quite amazing.  Depressing, actually.  I
> know a great deal about both ergonomics and keyboards.  I really don't
> need you to point me to what you've written given your rather narrow
> view on most of these issues.

The question is, what is the percentage of your knowledge of keyboards
and ergonomics with respect to mine.

> I can't resist (although I probably should :-/ ) adding that I've only
> ever encountered C-n, as anything other than next-line, when using a
> graphical web browser and, in those cases, it doesn't bring up a "new
> document".

Hum? I no unstand.

Do u mean to say, that as far as you know, pressing Ctrl+n invoke a
next-line command in web browsers?

> I'm bored with this now.  Time to get back to constructive writing
> (and I do a *lot* of that with no problems at all with Emacs).

In my effort to educate the tech geekers, i try to be entertaining as
well, so as to elevate you from boredom as well as mine. I hope it is
not a epic fail.

The entertainment bits are inversely proportional to the tech geeker's
level of knowledge and love. Please see:

• (Knowledge + Love) / Disrespectfulness
http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/disrespectfulness.html

For your convenience, the text version is pasted below.
----------------------------------

(Knowledge + Love) / Disrespectfulness

Xah Lee, 2008-07

John wrote:

    Besides your bad english and lack of respect, etiquette and
manners makes it less than rewarding to discuss with you.

The respect in my response to people's writings is based on this
ratio: (knowledge+love)/disrespectfulness exhibited in their posts.
For example, if disrespectfulness is constant, then the greater their
knowledge and love, the greater will be my respect for them. Suppose
the knowledge+love is constant, then the greater their outward
disrespect, will gain greater of my disrepsect. If their knowledge
+love is greater than their outward disrespect, then overall they
still gain my respect. However, if their knowledge+love is less than
their show of disrespectfulness, then i dispise them.

We all have different levels of IQs, environment we grew up, areas of
expertise, weaknesses. No human animal, knows all (in fact in modern
word hardly any human animal knew 1/10^googolplex percent of
knowledge). This is when discussion, comes in. When you know
something, and you sincerely believe you know it, don't be shy. When
you don't know something, don't be a ass. The problem with most
sophomorons, is not knowing the extent of their ignorance. Coupled
with the male nature, they become aggressive in pissing fights.

When i encounter tech geekers, usually they don't know shit of the
subject relative to me, yet they are outright insulting to point of
views outside their community (may it be unix ways; perl, lisp...). If
you don't take the extra mile to kiss their ass when presenting
unorthodox views, they either call you stupid outright, or become
aggressive and hateful, to the point to kick/ban you or whatnot (e.g.
eliminating any possible discussion or explanation i could contribute
or defend of their accusations). That is when, you begin to see
fuckheads and motherfucks sprinkled in my writings.

O, i almost forgot, you wrote: «Besides your bad english....».

The vexing level of my english, is proportional to the number of
grammar pundits in the world (you can see them slaving in
alt.usage.english, for example). When society ceases to be influenced
by these morons, my english might become something you would
characterize as orthodox. (See: Language and English.)

The above is originally posted to newsgroup “comp.lang.lisp”.

2008-08-24 Addendum

Q: After having worked through most of your web site, and hence I came
across the “Disrespectfulness” essay. I do have a question: How would
you see valid value ranges for the Knowledge, Love, and
Disrespectfulness parameters? Thanks for sharing.

It's just a general sense... that essay roughly describes my reactions
in newsgroups. As such, probably not worth digging into.

Knowledge means computer lang knowledge, protocols, OS, systems... or
it could be in any academic area like economics, sociology, history...
or even non-academic ones like business experiences, running a
company, managing a shop, knowing about gardening, fishing, sports,
good restaurants of a city ... all sorts.

Love is the love of other people in the most basic sense.... captured
in this quote:

    «The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats
people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who
can't fight back. —Abigail Van Buren↗»

Disrespectfulness is any of rudeness, male aggression, etc.

My “knowledge & love” is inspired by my favorite author Bertrand
Russell's essay titled “What I Believe”. Excerpt:

    «The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.»

    «Knowledge and love are both indefinitely extensible; therefore,
however good a life may be, a better life can be imagined. Neither
love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good
life. In the Middle Ages, when pestilence appeared in a country, holy
men advised the population to assemble in churches and pray for
deliverance; the result was that the infection spread with
extraordinary rapidity among the crowded masses of supplicants. This
was an example of love without knowledge. The late War afforded an
example of knowledge without love. In each case, the result was death
on a large scale.»

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/