Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X

From: Mark Hood
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
Date: 07 Aug 2008 18:00:09 -0700

> Am 07.08.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:
> > as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
> > said mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
> > version?
>
> Recently no Carbon Emacs variant can be built from Emacs 23 code. For
> Mac OS X you can, besides an X11 client, built a Cocoa or Aqua
> variant: --with-ns (--disable-ns-self-contained).

I use Carbon Emacs 22 on Mac OSX but I'm not familiar with Cocoa.  Can
you explain what this means for Emacs 23?

I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
the firmware of my brain.  Does the Cocoa variant use the standard
lean Emacs interface?  Or does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of
my Mac days (unless I run an X11 server)?

Thanks -- Mark