Re: Files created with emacs are owned by system

From: iainb . forms
Subject: Re: Files created with emacs are owned by system
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:04:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 1, 3:33 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> iainb.fo...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > 3. GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> [...]
> > 8. emacs -Q: unknown option; I also can't find it in the man page.
>
> -Q is a fairly new option. perhaps it was only introduced with emacs 22.
>
> > Most importantly, (probably) it does seem that emacs is running as
> > root
> > ps -aux | grep emacs:
> > root      1805   0.0 -0.2    48104   4548  p2  S+    7:38PM   0:00.36
> > emacs
>
> > I have no idea why it's doing this or how to change it. If I quit
> > emacs and while in the same terminal run "whoami", I'm still iainb.
>
> do:
>
> ls -l $(which emacs)
>
> i'm suspecting that your permissions will be set to 'rws' for the owner,
> meaning that the binary is suid (i.e. it runs as the owner of the file, in
> this case root, not as the user that's actually started the process.)
>
> --
> Joost Kremers                                      joostkrem...@yahoo.com
> Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
> EN:SiS(9)

well, I've installed emacs version 22.2 into /usr/local and it doesn't
save the files as root, it saves them as me.

For the record
ls -l /usr/local/bin/emacs
-rwxr-xr-t   2 root  wheel  9673784 Aug  1 15:36 /usr/local/bin/emacs

ls -l /usr/bin/emacs
-r-sr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  30008 Aug 19  2006 /usr/bin/emacs

Many thanks to everyone for the input, I doubt I'd have bothered to
look for the newer version if not prompted and poked by your
questions.

Regards,
Iain