Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:11:56 -0800

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:54:09 +0100 (CET)
Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> wrote:

> From: Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com>
> Subject: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?
> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:31:54 +0000
>
> > Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
> >
> > >   Notice that I still do not have the answer to my question :
> > >   "yes or not is this password transaction implemented in
> > >   pcl-cvs like in tramp ?"
> >
> > Now the question has changed.
>

>   Not really !
>
>   Pierre

The answer is clearly ssh-agent. There are a large number of security issues
regarding keys,
memory locking, timed expiration, secure entry, etc. Emacs doesn't need to jump
through all these
hoops when ssh-agent,pin-entry,gpg do this sort of thing correctly with a
robust code-base.

I can't even imagine why someone would want to constantly re-enter the password
anyways.

If you were interested in security you would not want your security critical
components exposed
in a monolith like Emacs that cannot enforce memory privileges.

Hammering away at this issue is asinine, since you do not have a point. Thanks
to these fancy
link-loader gizmos, and those operating system thingies we can distribute
functionality across
process boundaries with IPC. Welcome to the revolution.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie