Re: Encoding of latex files

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Encoding of latex files
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:36:28 +0100

Am 24.01.2008 um 12:57 schrieb Alain Muls:

Is there a way to have the files generated by the answer package be in UTF-8 and have the accented chars available

Are the LaTeX correctly encoded? The modeline gives a pointer near its left edge. You can click on that marker with the mouse pointer ... Is the LaTeX file's preamble correctly set up for UTF-8 or "utf8x" input and T1 font encodings? I have not much experience with UTF-8 input encoding in LaTeX, and this experience is mostly bad, that I keep using XeTeX, an UTF-8 native TeX system that can use TeX and system fonts (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php? site_id=nrsi&item_id=XeTeX&). Have you thought of using the textcomp package? Do you use babel?

I found LaTeX classes that have problems with some content. Switching to modern T1 font encoding can be helpful, too. For a proof: try some simple and basic report or article or book with just some paragraphs of senseless text and many, many header and sub-header and sub-sub- header lines with plenty of accented French characters. If you can't achieve this basic task, then your TeX system is 15 or 20 years too old or your preamble is bad. If you see all accented chars, then answer.sty might be bad.

(I can send you privately a preamble that deals with pdfTeX, XeTeX, DVI and PDF output and the proper UTF-8 input encoding.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists of "Ten Best."
                                – H. Allen Smith