Re: mthesaur v synonyms

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: mthesaur v synonyms
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:26:54 +0200

>> > at point, into the minibuffer as your input. Edit it if you like, before
>> > hitting RET.
>> >
>> > If you also use Icicles, and you want the default value to _always_ be
>> > inserted in the minibuffer as the initial input, then customize
>> > `icicle-init-value-flag' to `insert'. I personally prefer that
>> > behavior, but I think most people do not.
>>
>> Any command which replies on word-at-point should default it IMO.
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>
>> I have now got icicles ( cant say I like it at first attempt -
>> there's a lot there :)) and set the flag as above and its much
>> better. Although if something is pre-selected then typing should
>> erase it, not append to it. That would be a nice fix.
>
> Use `delete-selection-mode' to type over selected text (region).
>
> To automatically have the initial value be preselected in the minibuffer,
> use `preselect-start' or `preselect-end' as the value of
> `icicle-init-value-flag', depending on where you want the cursor to be.
>
> I use `insert' as the value, because I don't want the initial input
> preselected. I generally edit it only slightly - I don't want to replace it
> entirely.

FYI,  I have (setq icicle-init-value-flag (quote preselect-end)) and have
noticed an annoying "bug" (I guess bug but I suspect you will tell me
how to modify it so it does what I want :-)) This is conjunction with
delete-selection-mode.

If you bring up file-open, C-x C-f, then the first option (home dir in
this example) is there and preselected with the cursor at the end. If I
hit "end" or right cursor then it should unselect the text and
append. As it is, its behaviour seems inconcistent. Right cursor says
"end of buffer", "end" does nothing. In both cases the text stays
selected which means any typing removes the base path.

e.g bring up  file open, "~/" is the hilited default. There is no easy way
to append to this in "preselect" mode. If I cursor left, the select is
dropped but when I cursor right again the "~"is reselected for some
reason.

I prefer not to  use "insert" mode as I am too used to "preselect" modes in
other
apps I use so any advice on the above would be appreciated.