Re: g-client: character coding problem

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: g-client: character coding problem
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:31:14 +0200

> Am 14.05.2007 um 09:45 schrieb Tim X:
>
>> BTW, can someone tell me what emacs 23 is? I'm running from CVS and
>> it reports
>> the version as emacs 22. I've seen a number of references to emacs
>> 23, which
>> I've not heard of and didn't think existed (given that I would
>> expect the CVS
>> to be the latest version).
>
> It's another branch (unicode-2) of GNU Emacs. It is based on Unicode
> as a means to represent text characters. Therefore a particular
> character has the same code no matter what encoding is used in that
> buffer. You can isearch for à or ï in every buffer and every
> encoding. It also uses anti-aliasing (although I am not sure whether
> I see the effect) and an experimental font-backend, that seems to be
> different from the fontsets used in earlier Emacsen. Another
> difference is the use of font-config library. Recently libotf has
> been introduced into the code, but it still does not use OpenType
> fonts. All the changes that happen to GNU Emacs 22 in CVS can be
> found after some delay in Unicode Emacs 23.
>
> Documentation is not perfect, there is no explicit mentioning of Emacs
> 23 specific functions and you have to search a lot to  understand how
> to make use of the additions. It seems to me that the  extra code for
> Carbon Emacs (for Mac OS X) is buggy and not supported  and
> maintained. Besides, the X client runs quite reliable!

Interestingly enough, with exact same .emacs, my "international german
characters" have stopped working in both input ( I have to press umlaut A
3 times before a japanese character appears) and output (any mail I
receive with german characters just shows squares).

Any idea what remedial action to take? is there some sort of x-resource
I need to change to get my german characters back?