Special-purpose keyboard buttons

From: RD
Subject: Special-purpose keyboard buttons
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:10:06 -0400

I'm wondering how to get emacs to see the "extra" buttons on my Dell keyboard, model SK-3185,

There are little round buttons marked with <-, ->, a little house, envelope, picture of a calculator, etc.

There are also player controls: stop, left, right, music notes, and a rotary knob for sound volume.

On Windows, the buttons do things, e.g.:

The music notes start Windows Media Player, and the player controls operate the Player.

The Envelope button starts mail. The button with a picture of a calculator starts the calculator.
etc.

On Linux (Redhat 9), the buttons have no effect.

How can I find out what these buttons' names are? Once I know the names, will I be able to bind them in emacs with ordinary global-set-key commands?

Regards,
Bob