Re: python mode

From: Gary Wessle
Subject: Re: python mode
Date: 23 Apr 2006 21:53:38 +1000

> Am 22.04.2006 um 22:08 schrieb Gary Wessle:
>
> > in my debian testing system
> > # locate python.el
> > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semantic/wisent/wisent-python.el
>
> So try this! If it's not sufficient get GNU Emacs source and compile,
> if you can't find a useful deb package! Check load-path whether it
> contains /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semantic/wisent, otherwise you
> would need add this component. ( (add-to-list 'load-path "...") )
>
> BTW, you've located the wisent-python.el file in the site-lisp tree.
> So this is definitely not a GNU Emacs file, but something specific to
> your system. The GNU Emacs one would be in /usr/local/share/emacs/
> <version number>/lisp/progmodes ...

the one that comes close is  "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes"
in it there is no file about python-mode.elc or any thing for python
for that matter. with debian, I'd rather not start compiling my own
emacs from source because my in-ability to understand how the rest of
the system interact with emacs and visa-versa and how to satisfy that
not to have any future problems. I got python-mode-1.0.tar.gz and in
it there is
doctest-mode.el
pycomplete.el
pycomplete.py
python-mode.el
semantic.cache

should I just move python-mode.el to ../progmodes/ and compile? as it
said in the installation instruction in python-mode.el?
if so, could you tell me how to compile the file so that it is .elc
like all the other files in progmodes?

thank you