Re: No emacs info node

From: Fredrik Bulow
Subject: Re: No emacs info node
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:59:02 +1000

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> Using  21.4.1 on linux.
> No 'info' node for emacs is available.
> Example:
> c-h i memacs RET gives me [no match]
>
> the shell command: locate /info/emacs | more
> seems to indicate that emacs info files are at
>
> /usr/share/info
> and
> /usr/local/info/
>
> I've set INFOPATH as follows in .bashrc
> export INFOPATH="/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info"
> echo $INFOPATH from both shell and from emacs shell command
> confirms this path value.
>
> And here's the puzzling thing:
>   1)eval-expression (info "emacs") gives me the node.
>   2)calling `info emacs' from shell gives me the node
>     as a standalone feature.

Hi Tim.

What happens if you evaluate (info), does that take you to the main
info page? What happens when you hit C-h k C-h i ? I get the message:

C-h i runs the command info
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `info'.
(info &optional FILE)

where `info' takes me to the file

/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/info.el

Which Linux distro are you using? I'm using Ubuntu Breezy and the same
emacs version as you do and I didn't have to fiddle with the infopath
shell variable at all (in fact the variable is unset and echo
$INFOPATH gives a blank line) and my info pages works fine.

Hope any of this was usefull to you and good luck!

/Fredrik