Re: winows emacs - portable app

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: winows emacs - portable app
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:17:42 +0100

"Ryan Moszynski" <ryan.m.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> , and it seems like the only thing that is keeping me from having a
> "real" portable app is that i don't know how to tell emacs to look for
> me .emacs config file on my thumbdrive rather than in the emacs
> directory that it usually is in on my windows machine.

Emacs will automatically load site-lisp/site-start.el before your
.emacs, so you can change user-init-file there.

> the problem i see is that the windows drive name will be different
> depending on whatever pc/usb slot combination that you happen to be
> using.  For example, on my laptop, my usb drive is I:, while the lab
> pc i am working on right now, the usb drive i am using is named F:

You could try leaving the drive letter off, so it defaults to the
current drive. If that doesn't work, then
(substring command-line-default-directory 0 2) or
(substring (car command-line-args) 0 2) should give you the drive
Emacs is running from.

> if not, is there a command that i can run, after starting emacs, where
> i can point it manually to my .emacs on wherever my thumbdrive is, and
> it will run that particular .emacs whenever  i tell it to?

M-x load-file