Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:30:27 +0900

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
> If I run this program in cmd.exe it says "interactive". I get the same
> result under MSYS and Cygwin. However running it in Emacs in shell:
>
>    M-x shell
>
> it instead says "batch". (This is in the CVS version of Emacs.) Is this
> what is expected?

I don't use windows, so I can't give an informed answer, but my guess is
that perhaps the windows environment lacks ptys (pseudo-ttys)?

When Emacs in unix opens a shell session, it uses a pty to talk to the
inferior shell.  A pty appears to the shell to be a normal terminal, but
is actually controlled by Emacs.  When Emacs _can't_ create a pty for
some reason (e.g. in unix you can run out of ptys), it falls back to
using a normal pipe to talk to the subshell; this works mostly, but will
_not_ appear like a terminal to the shell.

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....