Re: Speed up Emacs startup

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Speed up Emacs startup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:56:28 +0100

Hi Anselm,

> > Is there an easy way to speed up Emacs launch without
> > sacrificing the readability and shortness of the .emacs
> > file?
> >
> > I mean: I don't like the autoload statements where you need
> > tens of lines instead of one require function call. Is it
> > possible to write a modified "require" that would provide
> > the same kind of effect (ie, load files only when they are
> > truly needed OR when the system is idle)?
>
> you can generate the autoloads automatically and put them in
> your private loaddefs.el. [...] The only line you have to add
> to your .emacs is something like
>
>    (load (concat my-lisp-dir) "lisp/loaddefs.el")
>
> i hope this solution is elegant enough for you. 8-)

Thank you very much for you precise answer but, if I may
criticize, I would say your solution has a big drawback
regarding "readability" of your configuration file: it's then
not clear at all what's loaded by your `.emacs', and you cannot
share it on the Web or among colleagues without giving your
`loaddefs.el' file if you want the others to benefit from the
same functionalities as the ones you have in your environment.

That's why a `require' line is still interesting... Do we agree
on that?

Best regards,
  Sébastien

--