Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" error

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" error
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:09:23 -0400

> I am trying to work on text files in excess of 180 Mb.  When I try to open
> the file I get the above response (in quotes).

> Is there a way to set the maximum buffer size so that I can open these
> bigger files?

In 32bit systems, It's 128MB on Emacs-21.  It'll be 256MB on Emacs-22.
It can be made 512MB fairly easily (patch not provided, tho).

But it can also be made insanely large by recompiling on a 64bit system.
This "insanely large" is the theory.  Practice will probably bump into bugs
when crossing the 2GB limit.

        Stefan