Re: tabs with cperl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tabs with cperl-mode
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:44:12 -0400

> hi everyone, I need to just use tabs for indentiation with emacs and
> cperl_mode to stick to our coding style guide.  I've search quite a while
> but i didnt found anything that could help me.

> in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html#Just%20Spaces is
> decribed to use only spaces - i need the conserve way.

By default Emacs places TABs wherever it can when indenting lines.
So all you need to do is to make sure that it can always use TABs.
Since a TAB has a width corresponding to 8 characters, it means that you
should configure your major mode (in this case cperl-mode) to align
everything on multiples of 8.  I.e. start by setting cperl-indent-level
to 8.

        Stefan