Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:24:08 +0100

GianUberto.Lauri@eng.it (Gian Uberto Lauri) writes:

> JC>  Eg. the first time \pi turns into a greek
> JC> symbol,
>
> I disagree with the whole argument except for having some
> documentation that tells you how to replace an old behaviour if you
> don't like the new.
>
> But US-ASCII bound people should consider that there are a few
> squared meters of the world where people has alphabets that includes
> characters that did not took place in the holy 94 set.

Well, so what?  Input encodings are not switched on by default, so
there is no reason to defend what is not a reality.

> They use them in their everyday life. TeX has grown and understands
> them.  It's fair that Emacs handles them the right way

But it does not do so without being asked, and that is good.

> P.S.

> I hope that nobody will consider stop emacs-bidi development as a
> good way to fight middle east terrorists... Mossad could get upset.

Well, emacs-bidi is not exactly very active or visible.  Luckily, in
Hebrew my name דוד is palindromic, so it does not affect me too much.