Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Steinar Børmer
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:42:59 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

| With transient-mark-mode, the region tends to be marked when it annoys
| me, and unmarked when I would need it.

I see.  For me, having it marked when it's not needed has always been a
small sacrifice, as long as it's always present when needed (and for my
uses, it practically always is).

| An "active region" is more than just the area between point and an
| active mark.  For things like cut&paste, it amounts to pretty much the
| same, but it also affects search&replace operation and, say, in AUCTeX
| what happens if you use the keybindings for insertion environments and
| font selection commands (which go _around_ the active region).

I see your point.  I've never gotten around to AUCTeX though, so I
assume it's more of a problem there.

| > Would you care to elaborate on this?
|
| You don't need to "go back and do it all over again".  Just use C-u
| C-x C-x to activate or reactivate an existing region.

Yes, that works.  It will still take some time before I'm convinced,
because this is such a habit for me.

--
SB