Re: Can Ebrowse or ECB give me a list of functions called? Or something

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can Ebrowse or ECB give me a list of functions called? Or something else?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:19:58 +0300

> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:55:35 +0000
>
> We have a source tree of mixed C and C++.  Management is considering
> "just" switching to a different unix-like OS.  I have been tasked with
> discovering exactly which functions (from the OS and standard libraries)
> are called.
>
> Before embarking on the writing of a script to parse our source files, I
> was wondering if I could somehow extract the information from an Ebrowse
> or ECB database file.  Clearly a TAGS file doesn't contain the requisite
> info.

I'd begin with GNU ID-Utils.  They generate a database of all the
symbols in a source tree, and let you run queries on that adatabase.
There's a nice grep-like Emacs inteface to the most frequently-used
query (find all the lines where a certain symbol or a symbol-name
pattern is mentioned), but even if you use the less frequent queries
outside Emacs, you could then add some simple scripts on top of that.

Look at the GNU FTP site for the latest version of ID-Utils.  I find
it a must when browsing a large source tree.