Re: How to have a separate I/O window (xterm) with GDB and Emacs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to have a separate I/O window (xterm) with GDB and Emacs?
Date: 07 Jul 2004 19:04:24 +0200

Joachim Nilsson <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org> writes:

> I'm running the latest bleeding edge GNU Emacs from CVS.  I'm
> no beginner so I'm not shy for bisarre elisp or C hacks to
> solve my current problem.  I'm posting here because I'm really
> stuck.
>
> So, if someone could please tell me how I can have a separate
> "execution window" a la DDD when using GDB in Emacs I would be
> eternally grateful.
>
> It should be possible somehow by spawning say an xterm and
> redirect all program I/O using "gdb -tty=device" ...

You know that gdb can easily attach to running processes with the
`attach' command?  Or by specifying the process id as a second
command line argument to gdb?

So you can easily start your program in an xterm and hook Emacs gdb
session into it.

Heck, you can even start your program inside of Emacs with
M-x term
and do that.