RE: undo an undo

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: undo an undo
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:24:03 -0700

It might be better to point out that the undo history is not a stack; it is
never popped. The user variable undo-limit is the maximum length of the undo
history.

What happens when you execute any command besides undo is that undo is
exited; that's all. If you then reexecute undo, the actions just undone are
themselves undone.

But, and this is where this explanation differs from those already given,
all that is really happening is that these undo-of-the-undo actions are
themselves being *added* to the undo history. Nothing is removed from the
undo history; instead, actions that undo stuff (that you undid, perhaps) are
added to the history.

This means that you can undo undo, undo undo undo, etc. as much as you like
(up to the undo-limit). You can play back and rewind the film as much as you
like - the undo history keeps recording, however: all your playback and
rewind actions are added to the history.

 - Drew