Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:26:50 GMT

In article <bb87ig$qqi$1@reader1.panix.com>,
Irving Kimura  <irving_kimura@lycos.com> wrote:
>I suppose that the problem with that machine has to do with to do with
>the environment, but I have not being able to test this.  This is
>because when I start from "emacs -q -nw -no-site-file" and try "M-x
>term" with "/usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc" I get:
>

>..: [: too many arguments
>..: /usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: No such file or directory
>..: exec: /usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: cannot execute:
>No such file or directory
>
>Process terminal exited abnormally with code 126
>

>I'm not sure which files do not exist ("No such file or directory"),
>since the only files mentioned definitely exist:

The file you mentioned is "/usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc".
The spaces are being treated as part of the file name, it's not parsing it
as a shell command line (what shell should it use to parse it, if the whole
point is to specify the shell to use?).

Try creating a shell script that contains the "/usr/bin/env" command you
want, and then specify the pathname of that script as the shell to use with
M-x term.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA