Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]

From: Martin aus Chemnitz
Subject: Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:59:12 +0100

> > It wasn't this bug, but your recent posting quickly led me to the
> > solution:
> >   ;-*-unibyte: t;-*-
>
> I suspect that ;-*- coding: latin-1 -*-
> or ;-*- coding: latin-9 -*-
> would be better (if it works).
>
> And now that I think about it, neither of them should be necessary,
> provided that your locale is properly set.  Is your locale set ?

I have to admit, that I do not understand the concept of processing
the .emacs file at all.

But to replace
  ;-*-unibyte: t;-*-
with
  ;-*- coding: latin-1 -*-
or
  ;-*- coding: latin-9 -*-
or
  ;(set-language-environment 'German)
does not work. Only the unibyte:t line works correct.

My basic assuption is of course that Emacs stores files in the same
way as any other text editor, because I edited the file in an other
application, so the .emacs file could stay open while I frequently
exited and started Emacs.

Martin