Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:44:40 GMT

In article <m3k7cwxv3x.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
Christopher  <christop@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Christopher <christop@localhost.localdomain> writes:
>>
>> > I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
>> > C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?
>>
>> M-- C-M-v
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
>
>I'm not sure what the two dashes following the first "M" mean.
>C-M-v means that I'm holding down all three keys at the same time, but
>precisely what action is signified by the "M--" preceding it?

M-<char> means hold down Meta while pressing <char>, so M-- means hold down
Meta while pressing "-".  C-M-v takes a numeric argument telling it how
many screens to scroll.  If it's negative, it goes the other direction, and
the minus sign is the way you give a negative argument (leaving out the
number defaults to 1).

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA