Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:07:05 -0600

Phillip Lord wrote:

"Kai" == Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:

  Kai> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

  >> This is certainly true. I can imagine a emacs based web server
  >> would be quite nice, as you could use all the emacs based
  >> formatting abilities.

  Kai> Do you know that this exists?

An emacs web server? I'd seen some stuff on this, I wasn't sure what
its state was.

Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.sources
Subject: httpd-serve 1.27 (for emacs-wiki)
From: John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:15:54 -0700
Sender: John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>

httpd-serve is a Python HTTP server, which uses a dedicated Emacs
process to serve Wiki pages directly.  It supports editing of pages,
dynamic search queries (if glimpse is installed), etc.

This new version supports gzip'd .html files (i.e., a reference to
foo.html will serve either foo.html or foo.html.gz).  It also fixes
several bugs, and adds a nasty LIMITATIONS section at the beginning of
the script file.

This server has been working stably on alice.dynodns.net for several
months, and is capable of serving around 100 pages/sec.  Be sure to
read the directions both in this script, and in emacs-wiki.  Send mail
to me if you have troubles getting it setup.  Maybe we can work out a
HOWTO together... :)

John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>

#!/usr/bin/env python

# $Revision: 1.27 $
#
# A simple HTTP server, written in Python, that can be used to serve
# Emacs Wiki pages directly from a running Emacs process.
#
# Usage is simple:
#
#   httpd-serve --port 8080 --load ~/Emacs/startup.el /var/www
#
# This will start a dedicated Emacs session, and will listen on port
# 8080 for HTTP requests.  If the request is for a plain file, it will
# be served directly from /var/www -- without using Emacs.  If the
# request is not for a plain file, it is passed to Emacs' httpd.el.
#
# startup.el should contain any startup routines you wish to load into
# your Emacs web server.
#
# NOTE: This script has only been test on Debian GNU/Linux, using
# gnuserv 2.1alpha (with Unix domain sockets), and Python's pty
# module.  See my web page for updates or new versions:
#
#   http://www.gci-net.com/users/j/johnw/emacs.html
#
# LIMITATIONS: The only flaw known so far is that httpd-serve must
# have access to an X server.  This is not necessary on all systems,
# and sometimes a plain pty works just fine.  You can try setting
# no_wins=1 at the top of this file.  If that works, and you're able
# to serve pages, you should not need to run httpd-serve under X.
#
# John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>