X and emacs bug

From: Bruce Park
Subject: X and emacs bug
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:10:56 -0500

Dear emacs subscribers,

I'm having some problems with emacs and X that's driving me insane. Currenty, I don't know which one is causing the problem so I thought I'd ask the subscribers what they think. Before I describe the problem, I'd like to state that I'm running debian linux with xfree86 4.1.0-16. The problem is regaring emacs, X, and maybe Java(Sun rpm converted to deb). Once a Java window is launched such as: http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/xwin.jpg, my emacs window is distorted.
Here is the normal pic: http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/normal.jpg
Here is the weird pic: http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/weird.gif
If you look at the weird picture, I drew arrows indicating that the space between these arrows are not normal. In fact, it looks like they are double height. Take a look at the cursor on the left top corner and you'll see this. There are other cases where this happens but this is the only case that maintains a consistency. As far as I can remember, this was happening far before Java was ever installed on my system. Now, this a very odd problem and I don't know if the source of the problem is caused by emacs fonts or X windows. Currently I'm using .Xresources file to manipulate emacs font. What I need to know is the source of this problem. I highly doubt this is caused by Java since I've seen this happen at other times. Any ideas or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

bp