Re: Amharic (and other) fonts, Debian

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: Re: Amharic (and other) fonts, Debian
Date: 19 Jan 2003 08:34:17 +0100

For follow-ups I suggest debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org and/or Debian
Bug Tracking system (I just submitted a bug against
xfonts-intl-asian):

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003  adamp_at@at_ipipan.waw.pl (Adam P.) wrote:

> Would anybody know what fonts (which Debian packages) I need to be
> able to get Amharic, Tibetan and Tigrigna 'hellos' when I press C-h h?

Depends whether you want to display it on screen or print on
paper. For the former Emacs uses the fonts provided by X server, but
to use the same fonts for printing Emacs requires them in BDF format.

The long asnwer is there is a bug in Debian distribution of Emacs
which can be circumvented in two ways.

Emacs `HELLO' file requires the 'GNU international fonts'. Their
primary Debianized form consists of packages

        xfonts-intl-*

However, please note the copyright statement:

This package was debianized by Milan Zamazal <pdm@debian.org> on
Fri,  9 Oct 1998 23:43:38 +0200.

It was downloaded from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ .

The non-free Tibetian fonts and some Thai fonts with unclear copying conditions
were removed.

Please note the date!

The copyright problems seems to be solved in the meantime, because

        emacs-intl-fonts

from testing or unstable seem to contain all GNU international fonts.

So, you can get the needed fonts either from emacs-intl-fonts or
directly from GNU site. Then you have to install them by hand to make
them available for your X server.

Regards

Janusz

--