RE: line-spanning regexp

From: Greg Hill
Subject: RE: line-spanning regexp
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:46:17 -0800

At 12:00 PM -0600 1/15/03, Bingham, Jay wrote:
<snip>
Earlier versions of Emacs require a different construct, the regexp to
use in those versions is:

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NonGreedyRegexp for more
information.

Jay,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know about this hack for non-greedy searches in pre-21 emacs.

Unfortunately the web page you cited doesn't really explain it, just calls it a "hack" and provides a single minimalist example. I'm sure I could remember it better and use it more effectively if I understood why it works, but that is not apparent to me. Are you aware of a more in-depth discussion of this topic that I could consult?

Thanks.

--Greg