Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding

From: Dani Barral
Subject: Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:56:39 +0000

>>> Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del >>returns:
>>> <delete> runs the command "^D"
>>>     which is a keyboard macro.
>>

>>This is not part of the default config, so it must come from your >>.emacs or the default.el or site-start.el files (or you're running a >>modified version of Emacs as is too often the case with standard >>distributions not able to resist the temptation to "fix" things >>without understanding the implications).
>>
>>Try to start your emacs with `emacs -q --no-site-file' and see if
>>the problem is still there.

You're right. That binding was in /etc/emacs/site-start.el

(Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] "\C-d"))

which is the mandrake configuration file for emacs. From this I understand rewritting

(Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] 'delete-char))

is more appropiate isn't it?

Thanks also to Barry for reminding that delete-char exists.

Dani