Re: On refining regexp by adding exceptions systematically

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: Re: On refining regexp by adding exceptions systematically
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:13:48 -0500

Sorry, I missed the original post. I wanted the same functionality from regexps myself. However, after I realized that regexps alone would not do it, I wrote the following routine in elisp for ESS. Enjoy.

(defun ess-search-except (regexp &optional except backward)
"Search for a regexp, store as match 1, optionally ignore strings that match exceptions."
   (interactive)
(let ((continue t) (exit nil))

   (while continue
   (if (or (and backward (search-backward-regexp regexp nil t))
(and (not backward) (search-forward-regexp regexp nil t))) (progn
       (setq exit (match-string 1))
           (setq continue (and except (string-match except exit)))
       (if continue (setq exit nil)))
       ;else
       (setq continue nil)))

   exit))

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research