problem with auto-newline in C mode

From: Martin Maletinsky
Subject: problem with auto-newline in C mode
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:51:53 +0100

Hello,

When using the auto-newline minor mode while in C mode ( C/a is displayed in
the buffer's status bar), I typed in the following C code:

struct name{int a;
int b;
};

int main(void)
{
struct another_name{int a;
int b;
};
}

I got an unexpected formatting, in particular, emacs seems to handle the
structure definition inside the function differently from the structure
definition outside the
function. The following hexdump (of the code as it was formatted by the auto
newline mode) illustrates this difference:

0000000   s   t   r   u   c   t       n   a   m   e   {  \n
0000010       i   n   t       a   ;  \n                   i   n   t
0000020   b   ;  \n   }   ;  \n  \n   i   n   t       m   a   i   n   (
0000030   v   o   i   d   )  \n   {  \n                   s   t   r   u
0000040   c   t       a   n   o   t   h   e   r   _   n   a   m   e  \n
0000050  \t   {  \n  \t                   i   n   t       a   ;  \n  \t
0000060                   i   n   t       b   ;  \n                   }
0000070   ;  \n   }  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n                  \n
0000080      \n
0000082

You note, that a newline is added after the opening brace of the external
struct definition, while a new line is added befor and after the opening brace
of the internal
struct definition. Moreover, \t are used to indent the opening brace of the
internal struct definition, while spaces are used for the indentation in the
external
definition.

After marking all the code and re-indenting it with C-M-\, the code looked the
way I would have expected it from the beginning. After inspecting the hexdump,
I was however
still surprised to find that \t was still used for indentation within the
internal structure definition, while spaces were used in the external, as you
can see in the
hexdump below

0000000   s   t   r   u   c   t       n   a   m   e   {  \n
0000010       i   n   t       a   ;  \n                   i   n   t
0000020   b   ;  \n   }   ;  \n  \n   i   n   t       m   a   i   n   (
0000030   v   o   i   d   )  \n   {  \n                   s   t   r   u
0000040   c   t       a   n   o   t   h   e   r   _   n   a   m   e  \n
0000050                   {  \n  \t   i   n   t       a   ;  \n  \t   i
0000060   n   t       b   ;  \n                   }   ;  \n   }  \n  \n
0000070                  \n                  \n
000007a

How can I change my configuration, to:
- have the same handling for structure definitions inside and outside of
functions
- consistently use spaces or tabs for indentation (but not a mix of both)

I am using Xemacs Version 21.1 (patch 7) [as indicated by the variable
emacs-version] and cc-mode version 5.25 [as indicated by the variable
c-version], my operating system
is Linux 2.2.13. Please refer to the attached dot.emacs file for details on my
configuration.

thank you for your help
with best regards
Martin

--
Supercomputing System AG          email: maletinsky@scs.ch
Martin Maletinsky                 phone: +41 (0)1 445 16 05

;; Enable syntax highlighting
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook '(lambda () (font-lock-mode 1)))

;; Set the indentation to 4
(setq my-c-style
        '((c-basic-offset . 4)))

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
        (function (lambda()
                (c-add-style "my-style" my-c-style t))))

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
        (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0))

;; Switch auto-newline minor mode on (in order to automatically insert
;; newlines after curly brackets
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook '(lambda () (c-toggle-auto-state t)))

;; specify when to insert newlines
;; (custom-set-variables
;; '(c-hanging-braces-alist '((brace-list-open) (brace-entry-open) (class-open
after) (class-close before))))