Re: (2nd try) imenu function doesn't work when byte-compiled

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: (2nd try) imenu function doesn't work when byte-compiled
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 12:21:58 -0400

I wrote:

> I'm defining an imenu index creation function similar to
> imenu-example--create-lisp-index...
>
> The function works fine if eval'ed, but fails with the following
> backtrace if I byte-compile the file:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (macro
>   . #[(prevpos &optional relpos reverse) "[stuff deleted]"
>     [relpos reverse prevpos and imenu-scanning-message let pos
>     imenu--relative-position if t > + 5 progn
>     (message imenu-scanning-message pos) setq (pos)] 11]))
>   imenu-progress-message(nil 0 t)
>   imenu--create-gri-index()
>   imenu--make-index-alist()
>   imenu-choose-buffer-index()
>   (list (imenu-choose-buffer-index))
> * call-interactively(imenu)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
>
> The code works fine when byte-compiled as soon as I comment out
> the calls to imenu-progress-message (but then I loose
> functionality).

Progress report.

I forgot to say that I do have "(require 'imenu)" in the code
such that the macro should be defined during byte-compilation.

Also, emacs-21.0.102 fails with the file byte-compiled by
emacs20, but _works_ with a byte-compiled file created by
itself.  I guess this problem was somehow fixed, but if there's a
workaround I'd like to know beacuse this gets byte-compiled for
emacs20 in the gri Debian package.

Thanks,
Peter