RE: Problem while scrolling in Emacs

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: Problem while scrolling in Emacs
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:16:30 -0800

I went to the info pages (C-H i) and searched the index (i) for "scrolling".
The first page (node) that came up was the scrolling node.  I then did an
interactive search (C-S) for point and found the following.

      Some users like the full-screen scroll commands to keep point at the
   same screen line.  To enable this behavior, set the variable
   `scroll-preserve-screen-position' to a non-`nil' value.  This mode is
   convenient for browsing through a file by scrolling by screenfuls; if
   you come back to the screen where you started, point goes back to the
   line where it started.  However, this mode is inconvenient when you
   move to the next screen in order to move point to the text there.

You really should look in the fine info pages before posting questions on
the net.  It took more time to compose this response to you than it took to
find the answer to the question.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
Compaq Telecommunications
Integrity S-Series Systems Software Test
14231 Tandem Blvd.
Austin, TX  78728
Office: 2166