help-gnu-arch

[Help-gnu-arch] armful bullish

From: Rupert Sharp
Subject: [Help-gnu-arch] armful bullish
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:37:24 +0200

Raycie was to have given thatautumn to inaugurate the gallery.
Reedy, the agent, who had unpacked thepictures. Yes, my dear Lewis, I wish to create a gallery:a gallery of Heirlooms. And Angelico yousay did that kind of Noahs Ark soldier in pink armour on gold leaf? There shall be aRaycie Gallery; and it shall be your mission to get together itsnucleus.
He had driven to town alone with Lewis, sternly rebuffing his daughterstimid hints, and Mrs.
Lewiss hopes rose as he followed his parents limping progress. No; Lewis felt only tolerance and understanding. Malvina has become a very elegant figure, your sisterstell me. Lewis, though surprised, was not disconcerted.
The Englishman appeared to think otherwise. Raycie repeated, prepared to play a part, a considerablepart, in the social life of the community.
Raycie approved, waving a violet hand which seemed tobe ripening for a bandage. Raycie made no pretence to book-learning; left THAT,as he handsomely said, to the professors.
Then with an effort: The Sassoferrato, then.
Raycie paused, and mopped his flowing forehead. But that was only the first shock, soon forgotten in the rush of greatertribulation. He could remember now, quitedistinctly, the day when he had given up even Beatrice Cenci. Its just what I insist upon yourdoing here and now!
Everything about him, as his son looked back, seemed narrow,juvenile, almost childish. Well, THERE Ive caught you tripping, my boy.
But the gods areformidable even when they unbend; never more so, perhaps, than at suchmoments. He had expected to receive the opposite impression. There are so many ways stillin which I can economize. They inspected the pictures, and allof them agreed that.
Raycies satisfaction would have been complete; but whose is, in thisdisappointing world?
Own up, Lewis; tell me they got it out of you atcards. He withered Lewis with a last lookfrom the doorstep. Kept himback till the last because its the gem of the collection, did you? The rest of his property was left absolutely tohis two daughters.
There IS no Carlo Dolce, said Lewis, white to the lips.
Once more he cast a slow glance about him. SaintUrsula did not need to rescue him from HER.
Oh, but its not a Carlo Dolce: its a Piero della Francesca, sir! Raycie ceased to laugh: he looked at his son with an _expression_ ofunutterable disgust. Everything about him, as his son looked back, seemed narrow,juvenile, almost childish.
Lewis, though surprised, was not disconcerted.
Whodyou say John Ruskins father was, now?