help-gnu-arch

Re: [Help-gnu-arch] RFC 1740 Support

From: Paul Snively
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-arch] RFC 1740 Support
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:01:04 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

It's just me, here.

Well, I'd call your feedback pretty important. :-) Hopefully others will appear as well.

That's an interesting thought.   rfc1740 seems to be concerned with
MacOS filesystems -- is that true?   In other words, the kind of files
it describes don't exist on more modern Apple filesystems.   If that's
the case, I'm not sure it would be all that useful.

While it's true that Darwin and, by extension, Mac OS X do support UFS, Apple's preferred, and default, filesystem remains HFS+. Mac OS X bundles can, and do, still contain Mac OS Classic resource files (with the extension .rscs) and the filesystem still supports the various "Finder flags" metadata of old. Even Mac OS X-native GUI CVS clients have to contend with this encoding issue, and RFC 1740--specifically the "AppleSingle" encoding--seems to be the encoding of choice. So integrating it into tla is quite desirable.

I'm not sure what arch namespace you would want to apply that to.   I
don't see how it applies usefully to archive names.

Why not? Don't you need archive names in order to successfully interact with an archive?

   At first glance,
it appears to me that the lower-level configuration details ZeroConf
addresses would be sufficient for arch to operate.

In the sense that ZeroConf allows the formation of an emergent network at the local-link level, you're correct. But ZeroConf also most definitely supports the notion of service registration and discovery, and that is precisely the aspect of it that I was referring to: the automatic discovery and registration of arch archives on the local network. Am I still barking up the wrong tree?

-t

Many thanks and best regards,
Paul Snively