Re: Encryption for gnatsd.user_access file

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Encryption for gnatsd.user_access file
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:52:16 +0200

    BW> I'm following the manual in that I type:

    BW> perl -e 'use Crypt::PasswdMD5 ; print
    BW> Crypt::PasswdMD5::unix_md5_crypt "abc123" , time() % 100000000'

    BW> It returns a string which I then add to the gnatsd.user_access
    BW> file such as:

    BW> brad:$1$THESTRINGHERE:edit

    BW> This however does not work as I am denied access.  If I use:

    BW> brad:$0$abc123:edit

    BW> everything works.

    BW> I couple of specific things baffle me: 1) every time I run the
    BW> perl script I get a different string.

This because you use a different seed each time, based on the current
time.

    BW> 2) The example in the manual shows an entry of the format:

    BW> rickm:$1$92388623$D7ZIYikzTUqd./d0DTFrI.:edit

    BW> What is the numerical string between the two "$"?
    BW> i.e. $92388623$

It should be the salt.

    BW> Do I need to specify a particular seed to associate with my MD5
    BW> password?

No, you can use any seed.

I believe (haven't checked) the following is correct, if such a password
doesn't work and your operating system supports MD5 encryption, it might
be a GNATS bug.

  $ python -c 'import crypt; print crypt.crypt("abc123","$1$somesalt")'
  $1$somesalt$cQgXrA5ywA0FFcScneVRH1

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
real programmer?  don't get me started.  if you need to hide your
pathetic excuse for a carreer behind super-macho languages like C, C++,