Re: gnats help

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: gnats help
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:03:16 +0200

On Monday 11 August 2003 18:20, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if I could get some feedback on setting up gnatsweb
> with an SQL database?  Is that something doable?  Any ideas on how
> to connect the two (ODBC, JDBC,  or gnats daemon)?  Would it be
> compatible?

I am not sure what exactly you want to do. GNATS currently supports
only one "database backend", namely its own format (every report is a
file of its own, with e-mail headers and the GNATS fields).
So, if gnatsweb shall be able to edit existing reports or to submit
new ones, it must communicate with gnats the way it currently does.

The SQL stuff in the contrib directory was what somebody used for
complex reporting, connecting to customer database, etc. The data are
extracted from gnats and stuffed into the database on a regular
basis. (See contrib/sql/README.) So this is only a *copy* of the
gnats database, not the working database.

> I was having trouble adding fields, and tables, to the gnats
> database with v3.xx.  Is adding a field to the gnats database
> easier in Version 4?  If not, any tips on how to handle that?

It is much easier in GNATS 4; all the fields are defined in file
gnats-adm/gnatsdb (individually for each database). You just add a
description for each of you additional fields. There are some
examples in the documentation.

> Thanks in advance for all your help.

You are welcome.

It is generally a good idea to ask the list instead of individuals;
you usually get faster response. E.g., I have been very busy until
the end of last week, and I am about to leave for vacation (with rare
or no e-mail access), so your mail was lucky to hit just the few days
in between.

All the best,

Hans-Albert
- --