Re: mail server config

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: mail server config
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:14:12 +0200

On Monday 21 July 2003 13:12, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if this is a stupid one. There seems to be very little in the
> way of mail configuration options. How does gnats send out it's
> notification emails?

In 3.113.1, there is a compile-time option "MAIL_AGENT", defaulting to
"/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t".
This gets the complete mail, including header lines (like "From:",
"To:", "Subject:"), on its standard input.

In Gnats 3.999.x, this is done essentially the same way, but has been
wrapped in a script called "mail-agent" so that the compile-time
option is gone.

> Do I need mail software installed on the same
> machine as the gnats server, or can I get it to route through
> another smtp server located on the network? If I have to install
> software locally, what specific software is required?

I think the easiest way is to install a rudimentary mail-server
locally. If you choose sendmail, there is a "null client"
configuration that forwards all mails to another SMTP server.
Postfix can be configured similarly, see
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#null_client
For other software, check the docs.

Hope this helps,

Hans-Albert