Re: use of GNATSDB

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: use of GNATSDB
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:06:14 -0700

Lars Henriksen wrote:
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:21:49PM +0200, Lars Henriksen wrote:

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:03:08PM +0200, Lars Henriksen wrote:

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:21:11PM -0800, Mel Hatzis wrote:

I'm trying to setup a separate database instance by adding a line
into the share/gnats/databases file and setting the GNATSDB env
variable to point to it. I can successfully 'telnet localhost port#'
and, say, lockdb, but when I try using pr-edit it ends up locking
the default database.

I can't reproduce this behaviour. Whether GNATSDB is set or not, the command
"pr-edit --lockdb" seems to lock nothing at all. Neither does "pr-edit
--database=<db> --lockdb". On the other hand, "pr-edit --lock <user> <PR>"
honors GNATSDB as well as the --database option.

That wasn't the whole story. In fact GNATSDB is honored by pr-edit when
you specify a remote database, but not when you specify a local one.

That should have been:

That wasn't the whole story. In fact GNATSDB is honored by "pr-edit --lockdb"
when you specify a remote database, but not when you specify a local one.

Lars Henriksen

Let's clear some things up... the test I'm running is:

  GNATSDB=test $gnats_home/libexec/gnats/pr-edit --lockdb

(let's ignore all other uses of GNATSDB and stick with this one)

My $gnats_home/etc/gnats/databases file looks like:

  default:Bug database:/usr/local/com/gnatsdb:server.juniper.net:1529
  test:GNATS Test:/homes/hatzis/local/gnats/test:server.juniper.net:1529

Let's also define local vs remote...as far as the code is concerned, it's
remote if the line in the databases file defines the server and port number
...as per the last line in databaseSpecIsNetConn which reads:

   return (dbEnt->fieldcount > 3) ? 1 : 0;

So, as far as my test is concerned, local mode is not used at all.

When I run the 'pr-edit --lockdb' command, I don't see a gnats.lock
in my test database...

bash-2.03$ ls /homes/hatzis/local/gnats/test/gnats-adm
addresses      current        index          states
categories     dbconfig       locks/         submitters
classes        gnatsd.access  responsible

but I do see a gnats.lock file in the default database...

bash-2.03$ ls /usr/local/com/gnatsdb/gnats-adm
addresses      classes        gnats.lock     locks/         states
categories     dbconfig       gnatsd.access  responsible    submitters

-Mel