Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
Date: 01 May 2002 17:54:35 +0200

    JM> Unlike the insect, the 'G' is pronounced.  For an American
    JM> English speaker, "Guh-nats" is how we'd write it phonetically.
    JM> This follows the GNU pronounciation (taken from the Flanders &
    JM> Swan, "I'm A Gnu", song I've heard).  In romaji, you'd write it
    JM> 'ganatsu'.

    JM> I'm not one of the orginal developers, but I worked with all of
    JM> them back at Cygnus.  Everyone pronounced the 'G'.

Thank you, Jason, for the explanation.  Looks like an excellent base for
a new entry in the FAQ -- anyone volunteers?  (I won't personally, I
should start bug fixing again...)

    JM> But hey, there's no need to serve under the oppression of
    JM> history - if y'all would prefer a different pronounciation, go
    JM> for it.  :-)

No way, I share the Bozo Bob's opinion about the nice sound of
"GNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!" :-).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell