Re: tkgnats patch to work with GNATS4

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: tkgnats patch to work with GNATS4
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:36:16 +0100

At 22:43 18.11.2001 -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
  Also, rather than storing the query types in the dbconfig, why not have
that stuff simply uploaded by QFMT or something? Unless we are going to
have gnatsd, etc. compile the dbconfig file, the processing time would be the
same, and then one can keep the query formats with the clients. Also, is
there a solution to fields which have seperator characters in them?

First of all, let me say a big thank you for working on a TkGnats port.

Query expressions can indeed be uploaded by QFMT. The format strings are exactly the same as those that can be given to the query-pr tool. Quoting page 82 of the GNATS 4 manual:

QFMT query format
Use the specified query format to format the output of the QUER command. The query format may be either the name of a query format known to the server, or an actual query format. See "Formatting query-pr output", page 25.

I guess the main reason why the dbconfig file contains a few predefined query formats is in order to make query-pr easier to use. Otherwise, one would have to provide a complete query format specification on each invocation of query-pr.

Yngve Svendsen
GNATS 4 doc guy