RE: GNATS authentication

From: Hon-Chi Ng
Subject: RE: GNATS authentication
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:33:12 -0700

Hi Yngve

>From: Yngve Svendsen <address@hidden>
>To: "holly sadeghi" <address@hidden>
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: GNATS authentication
>Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:45:53 +0200

>Ideally, you should be able to set access level 'none' for all hosts, so
>users would be required to authenticate in order to do anything. The
>problem with this is that Gnatsweb has to get a list of available databases
>before the user can be asked to log in, and that is not possible in GNATS
>3, since the DBLS command is unavailable when the access level is set to
>'none'. And still, anyone would be able to submit PRs. The DBLS problem
>will be fixed in GNATS 4, where there will be a separate access level which
>allows only the DBLS command to be executed.

My workaround is to make the default database "foo" viewable by anyone which
is used as test/debug/sandbox database, and make the rest of database denied
to those otherwise authorized.

E.g.
a) In gnats-db/gnats-adm/gnatsd.conf of all databases,
    *:none:

b) In gnats-db/gnats-adm/gnatsd.access for default database "foo",
    User1:Passwd1:edit:

c) In gnats-db/gnats-adm/gnatsd.access for the rest of databases,
    User2:Passwd2:edit:
    User3:Passwd3:view:
    *:*:deny:

>Unfortunately, GNATS 4 will not be much improved wrt. to security, except
>for the DBLS fix. However, we have implemented a workaround in Gnatsweb 4.
>If you limit access to GNATS so that Gnatsweb is the only available
>interface, you can require users to authenticate against the web server
>before they're allowed access to Gnatsweb. Gnatsweb can be configured to
>pick up the username the user authenticated to the web server with and use
>that as the GNATS username. Basically, you would have an empty user
>database in gnatsd.access and an entry in gnatsd.conf saying
>
>localhost:edit:
>
>(assuming the web server runs on the GNATS server machine)

>All in all, GNATS security is messy and weak. I'd like to invite people to
>air their views on this subject -- perhaps we could end up with a
>specification for a more robust security and authentication model?

Yngve, is it possible to

a) make the web server authentication default for GnatsWeb, and

2. possibly an option to tell GNATS 4 to use /etc/passwd, NIS passwd
   or Apache AuthUserFile for users' passwords instead those in
   gnats-adm/gnatsd.access?  They may not be the most secure way, but
   at least better than the plain text password in
   gnats-adm/gnatsd.access.

In other words, what I'm proposing is
  - use gnats-adm/gnatsd.access for authorization control, and
  - use /etc/passwd, NIS passwd or Apache AuthUserFile for
    authentication control.

>Yngve Svendsen

Thanks.

Just my 2c.