help-gnat

Re: mailing list moderation

From: David A. Cobb
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:37:55 -0500

I don't know whether the list is still useful.  So much depends on how the community here relates to the gcc maintainers.  I understand most of their work appears on gcc-help (but I've been wrong once or twice before).

I would propose moving to a "sign-up to post" policy for starters.  Spam and Virus filters wouldn't be a bad idea; a spam filter could shunt the questionable posts aside for moderation.

As to that, I would volunteer for some moderation duties.  Perhaps we should talk off-list.

Karl Berry wrote:
Greetings,

has no known owner/moderator, and accepts mail from non-subscribers.
The result is passing through of lots of spam.

So we need to do something.  I'm writing to get input on the best thing
to do.  Please reply to me if you have any thoughts on the following:

(1) If this list is obsolete and should be deleted.  We'd keep the
    archives, just make the address inactive, so any future mail to it
    would bounce.

(2) If the list is *not* obsolete, and should remain as a live address.
    In many cases there is so much junk in the archives that it is hard
    to tell, hence my query.  In other cases, I could guess, but I felt
    it would be best to just inquire about everything.

In case (2), if you can volunteer to help moderate the list (and/or
others!), that would be most appreciated.  But even if not, I'd still
like to know if the list is still live; I'm recruiting volunteer
moderators to help with the job.

Any other information or suggestions is welcome too.  For example, if
someone is already administering the list but just isn't listed in the
mailman interface.

Thanks much,
Karl